Monday 28 May 2012

Casting "Wacky Races"

I bloody love Top Cat, and I'm pretty disheartened to hear that next week there's a new, 3D, all-digital film version of it. It sounds utterly dreadful and, possibly, worse than the recent Yogi Bear. (Well, OK, I haven't seen Yogi - because the trailer was far too much.) But Wacky Races, which I also love, could make a great live-action film. Here's my dream cast list.

Before the cast list, though, I'd like to say that I think the best way to represent the madcap spirit of the show is motion-capture CGI.
Dick Dastardly - Alan Rickman, with some camping-it-up villainry akin to his Prince of Thieves performance
Muttley - voiced by Johnny Depp, movements from Andy Serkis
Big Gruesome - Gerard Depardieu looks a bit similar, although Richard Kiel (Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker) has the hefty size needed
Little Gruesome - Danny DeVito would be perfect
Prof. Pat Pending - Christopher Lloyd, riffing on Doc Brown all over again
The Ant Hill Mob - All played by Robert De Niro
Sergeant Blast - Bruce Willis
Private Meekly - Michael Cera, or Justin Long if you were a fan of his and Willis's chemistry in Die Hard 4
Peter Perfect - Brad Pitt, with the swaggering arrogance of his Friends appearance
Rufus Ruffcut - Jack Nicholson
Narrator - As it should be for anything requiring narration, Brian Blessed

As yet uncast: the Slag Brothers, the Red Max, Penelope Pitstop, Luke, Blubber Bear, Sawtooth.

It is rare that anybody comments on a blog post I've written but if you've got a Wacky Races idea, do let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment